What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cone?

Oh no wait, that's not what this blog is about! This blog is a random sampling of anything, pretty much, that I want to share -- from my brain, to your computer!

I solemnly swear that everything that I post here is true - or at least as true as I think it should be :)

Thursday, February 4, 2010

playing "small"

There is no passion to be found in playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living. -Nelson Mandela

Playing "small", living life to the fullest, expressing yourself. What does it mean? Why do we settle for something, just to be praised? Why don't we be a stand for what we want?

Three years ago, I was eligible to participate in a contest to be published into a book. I had always had a passion for writing, so I wrote an outstanding poem and made it all the way to Whitewater, where they do the judging. I never made it into the book. The next two years started and ended with the same results.

This year, 2010, I worked harder than I had ever worked. At least 20 different people edited my fictional story, and on the announcements one morning my name was announced. My whole class erupted in applause, as I asked the person sitting in front of me what had happened. See, I don't usually listen to my Principal ramble on and on about dumb bunny things, so I hadn't a clue. It turns out, I was published! Finally! My lifelong dream was to be published and here I was, Miss 11 and 2/3rds -year-old Author.

I mean, I could have given up in 3rd grade, when I "failed". But, some of my favorite people in life (Mr. Kossow, my T.A.G. teacher, my parents, my siblings, and my best friend , Laura) knew that I didn't fail. They didn't let me give up. They didn't let me play "small" when they, and I, knew I had so much more to offer.

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog post, Caroline! I love your view of life and I love all the risks you take. You're such a brave kid and I'm so proud to be your mom!! I am so happy that you got your amazing writing into the Anthology this year! I hope you'll keep writing in this blog. You know I love reading your writing in any form! Love you, Pip!

    Mom

    P.S. Thanks for including my blog on your favorite blogs list! :)

    ReplyDelete